Implementation of Energy Conservation support project (First workshop) for Cambodia on Nov. 2019
<Dispatch of experts>
The Energy Conservation Center, Japan (ECCJ) held the FY2019 AJEEP Scheme 3 First Workshop in Phnom Penh in November 2019 with the aim of supporting the legal framework arrangement on EE&C in Cambodia. The main topics were as follows.
(1) Confirmation of the progress on the National Energy Efficiency Policy, Strategy and Action Plan (NEEP) approval process
(2) Finalization of the S&L system regulations draft and promotion of the S&L operation system investigations
(3) Commencement of “Model Project” activities by Government, Industry, and Academia for preparing energy management systems
●November 26-29, 2019 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
|Comments for finalization of S&L regulations draft finalization
|Periodical report creation training through “Model Project” activity
|Simplified energy audit (Garment factory)
|Simplified energy audit (Government building)
|Audit report creation guidance (Garment factory)
At the First Workshop, around 20 representatives participated from the ministries and agencies directly related to system preparation such as *1 Technology and Energy Business Policy Department of the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME) which is the ministry responsible for energy conservation, the Ministry of Industry and Handicrafts, Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, the Electricity Authority of Cambodia, Institute of Technology of Cambodia (ITC), JICA local resident representatives, the Model Project’s three cooperative companies, the ACE, and ECCJ.
○ Regarding the S&L system regulations draft, agreement was reached with MME and ITC to reflect the comments made by ECCJ in the regulations draft including the description of CSPF values on energy labels, together with considering the enlargement of target equipment other than air conditioners, and the addition of some slight editing. Further, regarding the product and supplier registration systems, performance testing laboratory certification, and the preparation items for operations including MVE and TBT, it was determined to formulate action plans that clarified the responsible organizations and the timeline. It is planned to confirm the progress of this work at the Second Workshop to be held in February 2020.
○ Concerning the energy management system preparation, Model Project activities were started under Government, Industry, and Academia initiative. Through implementing enthusiastic activities for periodical report creation training in the buildings and factories sector and conducting simplified energy audits of a garment factory and a government building, understanding was deepened among project members regarding the data collection and analyses required for energy management and the key points for energy management on sites. In the Second Workshop it is aimed to create a periodical report format draft based on the actual situation in Cambodia.
*1 Department of Technologies & Energy Business Policy
* AJEEP: ASEAN-JAPAN Energy Efficiency Partnership
Program for building EE&C capacity in the ASEAN region by dispatching experts and implementing training in Japan
EnMS: Energy Management System
MME: Ministry of Mines and Energy
NEEP: National Energy Efficiency Policy, Strategy and Action Plan
CSPF: Cooling Seasonal Performance Factor
ITC: Institute of Technology of Cambodia
MVE: Monitoring, Verification, and Enforcement
TBT: The Technical Barriers to Trade Agreement of WTO